Bathroom products can be full of harmful chemicals, bleach is hard on growing lungs. Bleach is a notorious irritant and corrosive: it harms your hands and any other parts of you it may come in contact with. The chlorine in the bleach, mixed with any sort of acid, can create toxic gas.
Certain brands also contain fragrances, which can cause allergic reactions, headaches and lung irritation. They may also contain hormone disruptions.
The Natural Solution:
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup cornstarch
- water in a spray bottle
- gallon size zip-top bag
- 25 drops essential oils – your choice but I recommend lemon or orange for its cleaning properties, plus two others for nice-smelling purposes.
- mold of your choice – I like to use a muffin tin with cute liners for easy, individual storing
- giant Ziploc baggie
- Throw all of your ingredients EXCEPT the essential oils together in the bag and shake, shake, shake.
- Open the bag back up and add 2-3 spritzes of water. Close the bag and knead.
- Repeat step 2 5-7 times. (If the bag gets puffy, just let the air out, it’s the baking soda and the citric acid combining)
- You want the mixture to feel like pie dough – squeeze a handful and if it stays together you’re ready.
- try not to over-water
- Now add your essential oils and re-knead the mixture.
- Pack firmly into your molds (very, very firmly. I use a second muffin tin to press them down).
- Let them dry for two days. Then move them out of the molds (hey, muffins!) and then put them somewhere up high to finish drying for another day or two.
- Store in a sealed container until you need to use them!
USE: Just drop them into your bowl until they stop fizzing. You can use a scrubby brush to clean off anything else and then flush.